Thursday, November 2, 2017

Sand dunes of Coney Island

Who knew Coney Island had sand dunes. We are on the North shore on the west side. The western tip of Coney Island used to be too dangerous to go to but  it is safer now. Still we were the only ones on the beach

One could see the Verrazano Bridge to the north which is where the runners will start the marathon this Sunday. They will climb 250 feet to the mile point in the middle. What percentage of Americans have completed a marathon? Less than half of a percent so Steve and I are among the elite

long exposure of waves
 I collected shells for a while

Then on to get some Italian treats

rainbow cookie cake.  We brought back lobster tails and rainbow cookies which I feed to visitors
Do you want some? Then visit me

figurine store near our coal fired pizza place in Bensonhurst

Manhattan from our car window at 5:30 am. Driving in lower Manhattan to get to the Holland Tunnel was our only visit this time though I guess we were on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge

Still some colors in Eastern Pennsylvania

some of the shells I picked up and then put on top of potpourri in our bathroom
Steve had lived on Coney Island from age 9 until he was an adult and then some but never visited the far western end or the north shore, which he did not know there was access. Part of it is gated off but the beach can't be. We took a walk and I collected shells.

We are since back home. It has been two days since the terrorist drove down a running path and killed 8 people maiming more. I ran up and down that running path when I was staying in Chelsea 12 years ago. And if things went the terrorist way, he planned to mow people down on the Brooklyn Bridge walking path though I am not sure how he could get a truck up there. A different scary world.

It was hard to relax in NY as back home various disasters were unfolding. Maya's father left for 2 weeks for work without telling us in advance oblivious to Naomi's work schedule, which is made well in advance.  He just assumed we'd be around to watch Maya I guess. She scrambled for childcare. We came back early for the second day. Meanwhile, one of Josh's daughters was hospitalized for croup. She had difficulty breathing. They would treat her with epinephrine  and she would be fine for 3 hours. But the drug would wear off and back to struggling to breathe.

But aside from the phone calls, it was good to be there and visit with his brother and his wife. Much warmer there than at home. An unexpected (by me at least) frost had hit in our absence destroying most of the flowers I had left out. I had taken in the more sensitive ones already. We went out one night with his cousin and wife at a good Italian restaurant. I got to try a few ethnic delicacies over our visit. I ran a lot. The bit of weight I gained is now gone. Now if I could just hold steady, I would be happy. At night we watched movies, something Steve and I never do together.

Back to gray coldness.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A very mixed bag.
I wish I knew a way to protect the world against those lone wolf extremists.
No marathons run/walked/considered in this house.

Kranhu said...

Gary has run in two Portland marathons. Sorry to hear about croup affecting your grandchild. As my mother in llaw told me once, “The worry never stops.”
Kris

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I didn't know that you were married to a marathoner. Does he still run?
Allie's little sister caught the croup from her but fortunately it was a mild case so no hospital stay.
Yes the worries never end.

Snowbrush said...

I guess the figurine on the right is Jackie Gleason, but it's a bit skinny for Jackie. I've never heard of a figurine store, and feel somehow grateful that Peggy never felt the urge to collect them. Buttons are bad enough in terms of space (think tens of thousands--or more--buttons, but at least they're pretty, and she displays them brilliantly.

If I were a terrorist, and the worst I could do wasn't even as bad as what old people sometimes do when they hit the gas instead of the brake, I would be too embarrassed for words.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Glad you stopped by Snow. They called the store an art shop but all them had were clay figurines. I do collect hand made artistic dolls and other art that I can hang up on the walls. I have a small art glass collection. Most people down size when the kids move out but we seemed to have upsized so we can have a large enough space to have family gatherings. With just the grand kids, their parents and us, it is 13 people plus we have house guests a lot. Although we don't have any more rooms than we had before besides extra bathrooms, the rooms are larger and have 15 foot ceilings. So lots of wall space.

The NYC terrorist wasn't very efficient. He did try to take out a school bus. And if he meant to kill Americans, he really screwed up as most of them were Argentine or Belgium tourists.
Our home grown crazoid down in Texas was much more efficient sadly. The military gave him only a year in prison after bashing his baby's skull in and threatening to kill his superior officers. And he was permitted to buy a gun....

Followers

Blog Archive