Saturday, September 1, 2018

Let's go glamping

Not so long ago, I would only see turkeys up North and rarely at that. Now they are all over southern Michigan
Maybe they pushed out the pheasants as I never see them anymore. I often see a flock of them on my morning runs. Occasionally I can get one of their feathers

we took these Ivory Coast refugees to the Spray Zone yesterday

Will they get to stay?
my desert dahlia is in bloom. I have lots of dahlias though some are slow to bloom

my cousin has all kinds of sewing projects


I've spent some time this week trying to plan our trip to Utah. We do have the main route figured out, just how long to stay in each place remains a puzzle.  Do we just wing it?Steve would rather stay in boring chain motels so they only person he'd have to interact with would be me (begrudgingly at that) but often they are cheaply made (thin walls!) and if they do serve breakfast, crappy coffee and cereal out of plastic cannisters.

So far I got us in an Air B&B full of original art run by some woman who graduated from some fancy cooking school thus gourmet breakfasts and my favorite, a tent way out in the desert surrounded by huge red rocks run by a woman named Soltitisce. Is that hippy-dippy or what? We will have an outdoor hot tub, better to see the multitude of stars at night and an outdoor kitchen filled with organic produce and pancake mix. What no air conditioning?  said the reluctant glamper. I reminded him that we will be at high elevation and keeping warm will be more of a problem. What about my shower?I showed him a picture of an outdoor one. also our oasis is surrounded by flowers so hummingbirds are promised.

What is the difference between camping and glamping? As near as I can tell, we get a comfy bed versus sleeping on the ground. We did spend a night in a fancy yurt on Big Sur several years ago but this is a much smaller operation.

It is still hot out but at least the lower humidity is making my exercise more tolerable. And the mystery pain in my wrist seems to be gone so I can lift my usual weights.

Some of the Moms went with me to my favorite treasure store. Alas it was closed. It is a one woman operation and if she is gone, the store closes. I guess I should have called. But plenty of cute galleries and boutiques to browse so we still had fun. And then we had drinks and wine back at my house.

I've had various grandchildren on and off this week. And while their mom battles immigration, we entertained her kids. Various people I know have been helping refugees; my friend in DC sponsors an Iranian family; my friend the Cote Ivoirians, and my daughter's mother-in-law; a Syrian refugee who walked from Syria to Sweden to escape. I'm sure she has a good story.

And tonight we have been invited to a neighborhood tailgate party by an Indian couple. Do we bring anything? Do Hindus drink alcohol? Not sure. They have the biggest house in the neighborhood and keep expanding it. At least I will be able to satisfy my curiosity on what is going on there.


2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Childhood memories mean that camping (or even glamping) have no appeal for me.
Hooray for those supporting refugees. There should be more of it. A lot more.
I don't think there is a blanket ban on alcohol for Hindu people. I may (of course) be wrong.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

As it turned out, our hosts had a very elaborate bar chock full of rare scotches, fine wines,etc. I can't say I saw them drink any of it. They did serve hamburgers and chicken tikka Years ago, a Sri Lankan co-worker invited us over for dinner and cooked meat for us even though they never eat it and had champagne for us even though they didn't drink. They did not realize, one should chill champagne before opening it.

Followers

Blog Archive